Salman Khan hit and run case, which has been going on since 12-years, has come into light once again, as the actor is currently in his trial period, with three key witnesses confirming at the sessions court on Tuesday that they saw him getting out of the car after the accident.
In a recent twist, one of the witnesses alleged received “threat” calls asking him to accept Rs five lakh for “staying away” from the case. Identified as Muslim Sheikh, the witness said he had received a call around evening on Sunday by a man named Mukesh Pandey, a lawyer, who offered him Rs 5 lakh to turn hostile. However, Pandey clarified that he last spoke to Sheikh last week, when all the three witnesses came to Mumbai from Uttar Pradesh for fresh depositions.
“I worked free of cost to ensure the victims received the compensation amount. Muslim Sheikh got Rs 3 lakh, but he came to meet me last week after police brought the witnesses to the city for fresh deposition. He pleaded for more money, and I clearly told him that there was no scope for getting further compensation,” Pandey said.
Meanwhile, Salman is being tried under Section 304 (I), (rash and negligent driving), which attracts maximum punishment of two years, and Section 304 (II), (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), which carries a maximum sentence of ten years.
One of the witnesses, Manny Khan said: “I was jolted from sleep and realised the car had crushed my right hand. People started screaming at Salman, asking him to get out of the car. When he finally did get out, he was so drunk that he fell. Then he got up and started running away.”
One person was killed and four persons injured in the incident after which police booked Salman on the charge of rash and negligent driving, besides other charges.