If Shahrukh Khan can be considered as the King of Bollywood then I think I can take the liberty and say that Yash Chopra was the rainmaker of Bollywood. Anything he touched turned gold and was a success. Either a commercial success or a critical one and many a times, his movies were worldwide success as well. He spent the better part of his life in making movies and he was never ‘inspired’ by any Hollywood or foreign movie.
Tidbits about Yash Chopra that we weren’t aware of :
1. Lets start with his production. Any idea why it is Yash-Raj Films? Well its because, his production started with Rajesh Khanna in 1973 with Daag and hence the name Yash Raj (like the Raj from Rajesh Khanna)
2. His favorite movie? It’ll of course be one of his directions but any guesses? It was Lamhe, starring Anil Kapoor and Sridevi because of the obvious reasons. Though the movie didn’t do well at the box office, his feelings towards the movie weren’t hammered.
3. Yes, he is famous for the beautiful Switzerland background, the romantic songs and the seductive sarees. But did you guys know, he had also directed a suspense thriller titled Ittefaq?
4. Speaking of Switzerland, there’s a lake named after Yash Chopra back there because of him obvious popularity. That was his favourite shooting spot.
5. And then there is a train in Switzerland signed or rather autographed and inaugurated by Yash Chopra.
6. He wanted to star Rekha and Jaya Bachchan in Silsila but he didn’t know how everyone would feel about it given their history with Amitabh Bachchan. So he approached Amitabh Bachchan who suggested him to talk to the leading ladies. Surprisingly both of them agreed and then rest was actually history.
7. He also encouraged Javed Akhtar to write songs since he was so good at it. Javed Akhtar’s first movie as a lyricist was Silsila.
8. We know he had a thing of lean actresses and single colored chiffon sarees. But you’d be surprised to know that he rejected 54 dresses designed by Manish Malhotra for Madhuri Dixit’s look in Dil Toh Pagal Hai before settling for a normal Shalwar-Kameez.
9. Veer-Zara was initially titled ‘Yeh Kahaan Aa Gaye Hum’ after the song from Silsila, but Yash Chopra later decided that ‘Veer-Zaara’ would better suit and describe the emotions. Simplicity was what he liked.
10. Speaking of chiffon saree’s, Yash Chopra wanted one such saree number with Katrina Kaif and Shahrukh Khan in Switzerland. But as fate would have it, he fell ill and the could never shoot the song and I guess that is why Jab Tak Hai Jaan will always feel incomplete.